You may be thinking, "Why do I need to know how to open a coconut? I live in Massachusetts." I get it, but it's summer and some people travel to tropical places. I feel like knowing how to open a coconut without any tools is a great skill to know.
Before learning how to open a coconut the correct way this would have been me.
We all remember this scene from Castaway, right?! What a great movie.
So the husk is very hard to get through. To get through it with the smallest amount of energy exerted, instead of throwing it or bashing it against rocks, gravity is your best friend.
Watch the process below.
You want to smash the top of the coconut and crush the fiber, then you'll be able to pull the husk apart.
- Find a rocky part of a beach
- Set coconut on a hard surface with the pointy end up
- Surround coconut with rocks
- Find the heaviest rock you can lift
- Raise rock 4 ft
- Drop on top of coconut
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 until you see strands of coconut become loose
- Peel husk off coconut
- Find a sharp rock
- Find the face on the coconut (3 dots)
- Find line between the eyes
- Crack coconut on rock with ridge line perpendicular to rock
- Pop open coconut and enjoy
Drink the water and/or eat the flesh. Also, the remaining husk is great to start a fire!
Coconuts are amazing. This whole time all I've been thinking about is Moana.
Happy coconut crushing :)
Photo: Getty Images/iStockphoto