Personally... I've been rolling solo a long time and to many it can appear that I do solo well. I don't believe in relationships for the sake of having just anyone...I want someone that checks most boxes. So I've found numerous ways to keep myself occupied and surrounded by people.
I came across this story about a 90 year old man named Derek. Recently he lost his wife and sister and to combat loneliness he made a list! Everyone experiences loneliness at times regardless of age. The advice I give to friends going through breakups and Derek's list seem to coincide quite a bit...so here you go... feel free to add!
- Make an effort to make new friends.
- Join a hobbies club.
- Visit your local community or resource center and find out what’s available.
- Learn to use a computer at your local library. (remember this came from a 90 year old...so sweet!)
- Seek help from your local social service.
- Consider taking a lodger or paying guest.
- Use you phone more often to contact people; don’t wait for people to contact you.
- Contact friends and relatives you haven’t spoken to recently.
- Make friends with your neighbors.
- Do volunteer work if you are able to.
My personal addition...get a pet if you can properly care for one! Roxy really was a huge gift for me!